At last! Spell it with Moda quilt top is complete

July 2015 032

It’s probably been the slowest project I have ever taken on… but at last the Spell it with Moda alphabet quilt top is ready to finish.

Hooray!

I’m so happy with a few decisions I made along the way: to omit the picture blocks that were slotted in irregularly to even out the size (I just used white panels at the end of the rows and centred the letters instead) and to add a really bright border made from the scraps of the piecing of the letters.  I think the border really makes it pop!

I’ve used a mix of all of the Bonnie and Camille bits and pieces I have accumulated over recent years, in an effort to tidy up my fabric stash.  There’s Marmalade, Scrumptious, April Showers and Happy-Go-Lucky in there, each contrasted with the white Bella Solid.

This will be hung on my little girl’s bedroom wall.  I hope she loves it as much as I do.

Have a great day.

jf

Speedy table runner

For Christmas, my lovely little girl was given a new dresser by her grandma and grandpa.  I was concerned that, with the amount of junk that goes through her room (often via the dresser), it was at risk of damage without something to protect it.

April 2015 032

Enter… the speedy runner!  I whipped this up during two occasions when my husband said he “just needs to quickly check ebay”.  I’d say it took 2 hours from idea to finished – not bad, in my view.

April 2015 024

It only took one charm pack, a few scraps of batting and some backing and binding fabric (I used Miss Kate to bind, and a happy-go-lucky charm pack, both by Bonnie and Camille and selected to match a quilt I had already made for the room).

April 2015 028

I finished the last of the binding on the bus to work… voila!  I’m really happy with how it looks in its new home, and am reassured by knowing there’s something in place to protect her furniture.

April 2015 033

Have a great day!

jf

 

Bloomsbury Gardens quick quilt top

2014-07-16 21.47.35

Last night, I finally decided to use the fat eighth pack of Liberty Bloomsbury Gardens in the blue colourway to make a simple quilt.  It is only small – 40″ x 36″ approx. – a size I like to call telly rug size.  Perfect for a grandma to have over her knees as she watches TV in the chilly Queensland evenings (don’t laugh, this winter it has been cold by our standards!).

That’s precisely what I am making it for.  I’ll give it to my nana.

The picture shows only a part of the quilt top, but it is the same style all over.  It’s a simple jumble of 5″ squares.  It worked well for the fat eighths, because for most of them I could get 8 patches from an eighth, with almost no waste.  With fabric this expensive, no waste is important.

In fact, the picture doesn’t do it justice, because each patch of fabric is so beautiful, that it is easy to be drawn into it and look at that one patch for quite a long time.

I had hesitated about how to use this fabric, partly because it is so beautiful, but also because the coastal colours aren’t the kind I use a lot, and so I was hesitant about how to put so many busy patterns with lots of shades therein together.  But then, I saw the June 2014 issue of Homespun magazine, and it had a project that used Liberty Tana Lawns to make an even smaller quilt, and it gave me confidence that very busy could also be very good.  It also helped me to decide that these busy fabrics needed a simple pattern, so that their detail could be seen.  I think it was the right decision.

I’ll post another picture once it is quilted and bound. I’ve chosen spotty aqua yardage from the happy-go-lucky range by Bonnie and Camille for the backing.  I already had it at home, it was a good colour match, and I prefer patterned backings (it’s just easier to keep it looking clean).  I’ll bind it in the same, too.

Not bad for a very short sewing session last night!

Have a great day,

jf